woensdag 9 februari 2011

KATE MACDOWELL






In my eyes the most successful pieces are open to myriad interpretations and multiple narratives, and the mythic interpretations that viewers bring to a piece that I hadn’t thought of or intended fascinate me. For example I’m currently working on a sculpture of a juvenile alligator with women’s breasts. (Ed - A bit like inCodex Seraphinianus?) It’s spurred by estrogen mimic pollutants causing hormonal changes in American alligators, but as I work on it I end up reading about Egyptian crocodile gods, Ripley’s Believe-it-or-not's Alligator man, etc. Animals have so many metaphorical, symbolic and cultural connotations, and my intention or original inspiration isn’t really much more than a starting point for the process. The piece takes on its own life as it gets built.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten